Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Chris the Cable Guy

I really wanted to title this post "My Dad is a Big Butthead", but I decided it worked better as a subtitle.

Let me explain.

When we moved in 2 years ago, we went around and around on different configurations for our living room.  Within a few months, we found a couch off of craigslist, bought some bucket chairs, and eventually had a layout that we were both happy with.

The one problem with our layout is that there is no cable behind the TV.  That, in and of itself, is not normally that big of a deal to fix, however the wall that the TV is mounted on goes directly to the outside pool deck, and is solid concrete.  We've had "move the cable" on every.single to-do list for the past year and a half or so, and it always gets neglected.

So how does any of that fit in with my Dad being a big butthead?  Well, if you know him, you know he just is one regardless (my sisters will agree!), but that's besides the point.  Back in December, I wrote a post to the weather about our frigid Florida winters, and included this picture of how we sleep during the winters (this was prior to us getting our new a/c and heat system installed a little while ago) :


Chris told me not to post this photo, and not because the lighting was horrible with it, but because the cable cord was showing.  I told him all of my readers were too nice to comment on that.  I was right...a few of you guys even commented on how much you loved our coffee table.

My Dad...not so much!

I forgot to take into account that he reads my blog too.  He left the comment below :

Biggest.Butthead.Ever.  The funny part about this too is that my Dad knew that I had pre-posted that and was out in Hawaii by the time that post was published.

Sigh...

Well, enough is enough!!  My parents are staying here with Kodi when we have Kalia, so, once again, we put "move the cable" on our to-do list.  This past weekend, we finally crossed it off.  Chris said he didn't want my Dad coming over yet again with that stupid cable still running across the room.

Ugly Cable
As expected, this wasn't an easy project.  Chris got up in the attic and pulled the cable up from the previous exterior wall and attempted to drop it down into this wall.  Since the wall is solid concrete, that wasn't working.

We drilled a hole in the top of the ceiling to see if could find a hole to send the cable down that way, but all we did was create a hole for us to patch.  Beyond the drywall is more concrete.


We decided our only option was to bring the cable in from the exterior wall again.  Not exactly a seamless pretty project, but much better than the cable running across our fireplace.

Chris drilled behind where the TV is mounted :


The drill bit sticking out through the other side made us both laugh.


After that, Chris drilled from the outside to the inside to try to widen up the hole a bit ...


That's the cable sticking down from the pool deck area ceiling.


Yeah, things are starting to look worse at this point instead of better, huh?

This was the hole from the inside :


And this is the most ridiculous drill bit I've ever seen :


But hey, it got the job done!

After much finagling, we got the cable from the outside of this wall to the inside, and pushed back up as much of the cable as we could back into the attic.  For the outside, I can't decide if we're going to get some sort of tubing, paint the cable to match the house, or mount something to this wall to cover it up.  This is one of those 'domino projects'...check one project off the list, add a few more.


You can see in this next picture what you see of the cable from the majority of the pool deck.


For the inside, we still have to run the power line up to behind where the TV is mounted.  Because there's already power on this wall, that, hopefully, shouldn't be as bad.  Famous last words, right?

Woo Hoo!!!  No more cable!!!
We were both entirely too tired on Sunday night to do anything more with this, so it's another "good enough for now" project that we're checking off the list.

Oh, and as a side note, I actually finished off the front door this past weekend too.  I painted the trim, the wall around the trim, and Chris helped me grout the missing tile piece back into place.  So that project went from a "good enough for now" one to a completely crossed off the list.  Whew!

It's true that my Dad is a big butthead, but I'm really glad we've finally gotten this project crossed off the list.  Chris too...it's been one of those things that's just been an eye-sore for entirely too long now.

Love you Dad!!!

Happy Wednesday everyone!

If you enjoyed this post, please leave a comment or subscribe to the feed reader to get future posts delivered to your reader.

4 comments:

  1. Your dad? A butthead? NO!! hehehe
    I'm so impressed that you guys are STILL doing projects around the house. Let's hope Kalia comes soon so you can stop making all of us not pregnant procrastinating women feel better about still not having a finished kitchen! Haha. It's officially been a year!yikes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha!! SO funny!

    I can't believe you guys are still crossing off projects this close to your due date! Good for you!

    Wishing you a smooth delivery and I cannot wait to see photos of Kalia! = )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for mentioning the coffee table! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I initally thought my feelings should be hurt having you call me a Big Butthead in front of all your blogger world ...

    ... but then I considered the source and accept it as a great compliment.

    ...

    :)

    ...

    But tell Chris that brown duct tape would have been much MUCH quicker!

    :)

    Love you - Dad

    ...

    PS - Tell Jenny to quit laughing at me! :(

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Like what you saw? Have a question? Got a suggestion? Leave me some comment lovin!

Related Posts with Thumbnails